An Idyllic Rural Haven
Ambiance and Hospitality - Marvellous
- Based at a lovely little Maison d'Hôte in an idyllic part of western France.
- Alluringly off the beaten tourist tack and yet easily accessible.
- A beautiful, peaceful environment, far removed from the pollution, crowds and stress of urban living.
- Pure fresh air, natural water supply, near-lack of unwanted noise and an auspicious sighting.
- Guests claim that the place and its surroundings have wonderful restorative properties.
- Celebrated for a proud tradition of outstanding, wholesome cuisine and excellent wines.
- Fêted for superb imaginative vegetarian cuisine.
- Walk, cycle or ride horses on miles of peaceful paths and lanes in delightful, unspoiled rolling countryside.
- A region rich in historic, cultural and natural interest.
- Aperitifs-at-seven is followed each evening by a lively four-course evening meal with excellent food, plenty of superb wine, animated conversation, great bonhomie and a marvellous ambiance.
The birdsong and utter peace are unforgettable - Stewart & Merrill, Sydney, Australia
The earliest known date for buildings at le Moulin du Chemin is 1643, although the site could have been used from much earlier times. The Romans established the nearby village of Scillé and signs of earlier human habitation have been found in the locality.
During severe storms, the intensity of the wind and rain is very evident beyond a couple of hundred metres from the buildings, whereas the immediate vicinity of le Moulin du Chemin remains relatively calm. This fact, together with the feeling of wellbeing associated with the site of le Moulin du Chemin, leads to the conclusion that the ancients who first built on the site were sophisticated when it came to choosing a location for human habitation.
"... thank you for the peaceful refuge." - Jeann, Singapore
"Alone, but not lonely, Feng Shui or not, this is a very special place. ..... Arohanui." - Robin, Auckland, New Zealand
Adherents of Feng-Shui will recognise that the orientation of le Moulin du Chemin is very auspicious for promotion of a harmonious and healthy environment for the advancement of human wellbeing. The principle characteristics of the sighting are as follows.
- The site is slightly elevated, with the valley floor sloping away from the front of the buildings, to the south. The slope is about 1m reduction in elevation every 100m.
- Looking south, the site has higher undulating hills to the left (east) than to the right (west) - The Green Dragon is higher than the White Tiger. The hills to the east reach elevations of 192m and 229m, whereas the hills to the west reach elevations of 199m and 203m.
"In more-recent ancient times most European dwellings faced south, from whence cometh the sun; having no openings in walls facing north and east, from whence the cometh the cold winter wind - and so it was and is at le Moulin du Chemin." - Peter, le Moulin du Chemin, France
- The hills at the back of the site are higher than the hills to the east, rising in the north to 236m and 241m at la Roche and la Bource respectively. This is the Black Turtle providing protection to the site. More locally, the promontory to the north (elevation 208m), above la Moulin à Drap protects le Moulin du Chemin relative to the shoulder immediately to the east (elevation 192m).
- The front of the property opens onto open pastures flanked by woods along which meanders an auspicious small river, leading to low hills. The low hills symbolise the Crimson Phoenix.
"Nevertheless, some folk say that the sense of harmony between the individual and the environment is tangible at le Moulin du Chemin." - Peter, le Moulin du Chemin, France
Le Moulin du Chemin has proud tradition of superb vegetarian cuisine. When guests first began to arrive, so also did requests for holidays with vegetarian food. For Carolynn, already an expert-chef, it was not too difficult to develop a varied and interesting vegetarian menu for a six-night holiday. Over the next quarter-century or so, with her flare and imagination, Carolynn inovated and developed a suberb array of vegetarian dishes. That is how the proud vegetarian tradition came to be. The proud tradition was refined by the influence Janie, a former resident at le Moulin du Chemin during a dozen years. Janie's parents were dedicated vegetarians and for ten years Janie managed restaurants for the London vegetarian chain Cranks.
"..... Special thanks to Carolynn for the delicious vegetarian dinners and packed lunches ....." - Nigel & Julie, Oxfordshire, UK
People claim that le Moulin du Chemin has restorative qualities. The qualities have everything to do with tranquillity and idyllic surroundings, with birdsong, a clear stream and tumbling water, with butterflies and wild flowers, with freedom from pollution and a near lack of unwanted noise as well as with the banishment of stress.
"le Moulin is such a wonderful tonic ....." - Sue, Hereford, UK
Invariably guests spend more time in the open air and take more exercise than their normal quota. Appetites are sharpened for le Moulin du Chemin’s wholesome cuisine which is based on fresh, whole and organic ingredients wherever possible. Processed and pre-prepared components are avoided, so that the food preservatives and artificial flavour, texture and appearance enhancers that are almost inevitably part of normal daily diet are rare, or non-existent, in cuisine of le Moulin du Chemin.
" ..... fantastic food and wine, who could ask for more?" - Trudy & Andy, Stirling, Scotland, UK
The pure soft water at le Moulin du Chemin comes from a natural source and has not been recycled (except by nature). Thanks to this the water is free of manufactured molecules present in a lot of city water supplies.
Each of the excellent wines served at le Moulin du Chemin is characterised by its interesting personality and agreeable nature. The wines have been agreeably tested to be sure that they have no physical or mental ill effects (ie that they are hangover free). Difficult as it may be to believe, it is true and previous guests will vouch for it.
"..... food great and oh, that wine ....." Jean & Ronnie, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Under the combined influence of these factors, to most guests sleep comes easily.
"We have had a magical time, relaxing, eating, walking, cycling, all superb." - Sean & Noran, Sutton Coldfield, UK
We hope that le Moulin du Chemin's "take" on Wellbeing meets with your approval. If so the buttons below provide further information about other aspects of holidays at le Moulin.